Lietuviška šio puslapio versija – spauskite čia.
Everyone has the right to be independent and included
Inspired by the Užupis (“beyond the river”) quarter in the city of Vilnius, we will explore the ambitions and struggles for an independent life, and people’s experiences with independent living.
We invite you to come and join a discussion around these 2 main topics:
The right to live independently and to be included in the community
- Lithuania’s and other countries’ work to ensure the right to live independently
- The role of families when people with intellectual disabilities prepare themselves for living independently, and the support families need
- What needs to be done so this right becomes a reality also for people with complex support need
The right to make decisions
- The practice of supported decision-making
- Reforms of legal capacity and of electoral laws
We will talk about the right to live independently and to be included in the community. For example what it means for family members when a person with an intellectual disability prepares for an independent life.
We will also talk about the right to decide about your own life. About the practice of supported decision-making, reforms of legal capacity and of electoral laws.Jyrki Pinomaa, President of Inclusion Europe
We want the conference to be positive, hopeful and inclusive.
One of the sessions will take place in Viltis day centre in Uźupis.
Speakers and leaders of discussion
Message from Robert Martin
Robert Martin is a self-advocate from New Zealand. He is a member of the UN CRPD Committee.
Here you can browse some of the presentations for the conference.
Video about supporting people with complex support needs (JAG, Sweden):
Europe in Action 2019 is organised by:
The conference is co-funded by the European Union.